Functional medicine is individualised medicine that focuses on prevention and finding the underlying causes of a health problem instead of addressing only the symptoms.
We evaluate how organs and systems function, any underlying pathology and causes before starting any treatment.
We use a number of functional pathology tests which generally are not available through conventional laboratories. We check your nutritional status, parasites, bacteria, viruses, food sensitivities, heavy metals, hormones, DNA, how your digestive system functions and more.
We mainly want to identify the following
- Beneficial bacteria levels
- Fungal infections such as candida
- Identifying parasites
- Helicobacter pylori, Giardia infection
More specific tests offered
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis Test with Parasites
- Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO)
- Food Sensitivity Test IgG
- Food Allergy Test IgE
- Gluten Intolerance
- Intestinal Permeability
Hair Mineral Tissue Analysis
The Hair Mineral Tissue Analysis (HMTA) is a safe, non-invasive test that measures levels of elements and ratios of nutrients found in hair.
HTMA can detect whether there is an excess or deficiency of vital nutrient minerals such as calcium, potassium, zinc and iron. It can also identify over-exposure to heavy metals such as
lead, mercury, arsenic or aluminium and is therefore used for heavy metal testing.
Hair Mineral Tissue Analysis is an invaluable screening tool in both every day and preventative health care by identifying heavy metals in the body.
Assessment of a patient’s elemental status is essential in optimising health and to assist with a correct diagnosis.
Chelation therapy with therapeutic nutritional medicine is then used to balance the minerals in the body.
Why should you use an HMTA?
- Detect whether there is an excess or deficiency of certain nutrients.
- Identify over-exposure to toxic elements such as mercury poisoning.
- Monitor detoxification of toxic elements while chelation treatment is progressing.
- Hair testing is scientific-based.
Hormone Saliva / Urine Testing
Hormone saliva testing is an easy and non-invasive way of assessing your hormone balancing needs. And is proving to be the most reliable medium for measuring hormone levels.
Unlike serum tests, saliva testing represents only hormones actively delivered to receptors in the body.
Clinically, it is far more relevant to test these bioavailable hormones and provide an accurate reflection of the body’s active hormone levels.
Allergies and Sensitivities
Are you reacting to food and wondering what could be causing it?
You can either have a non-invasive computer screening or we can refer you for a blood test to have various tests such as the ALCAT allergy test, IgG, IgM or IgA.
What you eat can make you sick without you realising it!
Although you may be eating ‘healthy’. Many foods can trigger internal reactions, even in a healthy body and contributing to serious health problems.
Throughout our lives, allergies and sensitivities can change due to changes in gut flora, pharmaceutical medications, stress, diet and a range of other contributing factors. Once we have the results, we will work with you on a treatment plan.
Food allergies or sensitivities may be the result of other underline health issues like dysbiosis (leaky gut), the effect of medication.
People who are sensitive to a chemical get symptoms from exposure to low levels of that chemical. Levels that do not cause symptoms in most people. They may be triggered by exposure to even very low concentrations of gases, pesticides, perfumes, food additives or plastics.
Chemical sensitivity can cause many symptoms, like fatigue, headaches, anxiety, palpitations, asthma, shortness of breath, blocked nose, sore throat, nausea, bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, confusion, memory problems and depression.
The sensitivities could be from car fumes, perfumes, aftershave, air freshener, fragrances, washing powders, chlorine, plastics, rubber, pesticides, cigarette smoke etc.
People with chemical sensitivity also have food allergies/sensitivities to moulds and dust mite.
DNA Gene Tests Sydney
What DNA testing can do for you?
- Understand and see your potential genetic weaknesses.
- Use this for preventative strategies to limit future diseases.
- Get a personalised dietary program designed especially for you and your genes.
- Identify how your body works, uses nutrients and why you might easily gain weight.
- Understanding your specific dietary and exercise needs.
- Identify MTHFR mutations and methylation mutations.
- Identify how well your body can detoxify and your individual tolerance of substances such as caffeine and alcohol.
- Identify how your body responds to inflammation, which is related to various chronic diseases.
- Identify your risk of osteopenia/osteoporosis and what your body needs to prevent it.
We utilise a number of testing/screening providing measurements of your physiology, bio-chemistry and body functions. These devices utilize several technologies to screen and monitor changes in the human body.
Biofeedback devices help identify various stresses on the body at the electro-magnetic level. We use a number of technologies in our screening devices like:
- BIA (Bio Impedance Analysis)
- HRV (Heart Rate Variability)
- SPO2 (Pulse Oximeter)
- 3D Body Scan
A number of systems can be screened (not diagnostic)
- Respiratory System
- Digestive System
- Immune System
- Cardiovascular System
- Brain and Nervous System
- Nutritional Assessment
- Hormonal Profile
- Phenolic Sensitivity
- Emotional Stressors
- Trace Minerals
- Environmental Sensitivity
- Food Sensitivity
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Heavy Metals
Please note the above are not pathology tests or diagnostic tools. Screening is performed for the information of that practitioner.
Sydney Holistic & Cosmetic Medicine can provide you with your average cellular age. And our practitioners will show you ways to improve your ‘biological age’.
This is a painless procedure which provides information on several of your body’s ‘biomarkers’.
- How much fat and muscle your body consists of.
- The ideal fat to muscle ratio and weight for your frame.
- Hydration levels (both inside and outside the cells).
- The quality of your muscle tissue.
- Your cellular age.
We can provide you with your average biological age and our practitioners will show you ways to improve it.
Urinalysis & PH testing
With a simple first-morning urine void we can assess the pH of your body which can help to identify if you are acidic or alkaline.
Also, we can identify the presence of blood, white cells protein, nitrites, sugar and more.
- Tests for Mould & Mycotoxins
- Tests for Pesticides, Bisphenol A, Phthalates, Parabens.
- Hair analysis for heavy metals & Minerals
- Tick Born Disease
- Tests for a cardiovascular profile
- Vitamin & Mineral tests
- Amino acid tests (blood or urine)
- Hormone tests (saliva, blood or urine)
- Methylation assessment
- Neurotransmitters assessment
- Thyroid assent